After two truly amazing farewells, one in London and one in Milano, and after moving all our stuff to storage (officially homeless!) the frantic last few days flew by and we finally arrived in Cape Town and our adventure has officially started!

We are both ill, I am without voice (Mati) for the joy of Rob/Chasmo/Bruce, and he has cold/cough and all the rest of it. We didn’t get any sleep on the plane, despite me taking 2mg of Valium. We arrived in Cape Town at 7am (5am UK time) totally sleep deprived and even more ill.

But the mother city welcomed us with  fantastic sunshine and the best exchange rate in years. Our accommodation was so nice that it was a shame to stay just one night. Located in Green Point, Antrim Villa is a very friendly small bed and breakfast, with very helpful staff, home made bread and muffins for breakfast and a quiet pool with sun lunges. Rooms are small but you are only going to sleep there anyway.

Through our first meals: lunch at The Butcher Shop and Grill and dinner at Grand on the Beach (courtesy of la mamma) we soon understood why they call Cape Town the food capital of Africa. The food is fantastic, and the cost is very low for really high quality meals. Bruce also loved trying a combo skewer with crocodile meat, zebra, warthog and Kudu (antelope) at the V&A food market.

IMG_1572  IMG_1628

We had a very nice walk by Beach Road, from Green Point to the Victoria Waterfront and the Clock Tower. To get our bearings of the city, we also took the Red Line bus tour which takes one hour and a half and goes all the way up to the beginning of the Table Mountain Cable car with stunning views of Cape Town from above, and continues to Camps Bay beach before it gets back to the city centre. It’s quite pricey for the local average, but it’s for a full day and it includes different routes and it can be used as a way of transport. Cheaper if you get the two days one.

Our first fun story is that Bruce left me on the bus to go and buy tickets, asked the driver to wait for him but the driver drove off (with me on it) before he got back with the tickets! Classic. We reunited at the next stop to much laughter.

Now we arrived safely in Windhoek (Namibia) after our fourth flight in three days. Now no flights for a month, yey! Rainy Namibia welcomed us, apart from finding a truck jack knifed en route…

We are spending the night at Arrebush Travel Lodge in Windhoek (good location, nice and clean, cheap and cheerful, does the job), ready for our 7am start tomorrow to leave for our safari through Nomadic Tour, Best of Namibia. We look forward to coming back to Cape Town on the 31st of Jan to see much more of it!

grand on the beach cape town


  1. Great summary Mati – it all sounds wonderful – and very well planned!
    Hope the afflictions soon improve.
    I see Rob has now outdone Dave in eating exotic meats.
    Looking forward eagerly to your reports (and pics) of Namibia.
    Lots of love from us both xxx

  2. Enjoy it you crazy kids. See you when you get back to CT.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *